Notes from Wesley Meadows


Part One of two parts:

A Transitional View




(Author’s note: This post is from excerpts of a journal began the morning of March 7, 2018)

I am sitting in a chair facing a bed in which lies the 83-year-old mother of two daughters. This lady, who is as well a great grandmother, is living out her final days here in a facility I have always referred to as a nursing home. Nursing homes have never been a place that I looked forward to visiting, but as I am ever nearer to a similar consequence for myself, I am okay with it now. I am here in this room now visiting Miss. Pat with her daughters Cindy and Patti, my future bride.

Cindi, Patti and Miss Pat, (2nd Trip)

I have been to this facility just outside Memphis, Tenn. twice before. The first time - six months ago- was to meet Miss Pat for the first time. The second time was to express to her that I wanted to marry her daughter. The first time she initially did not recognize youngest daughter Patti. The second time at first, she did not recognize Patti or me. This time she was not conscious enough converse with any of us. It is my first experience seeing someone in the transitory life stage knocking on heaven’s door. And there is no doubt in my mind she is readying for the entrance through heaven’s gate. I know and love her daughter who I am assured was raised by Godly parents!


When a visitor turns into this senior living facility, the sign at the entrance - Methodist Senior Services- leaves no doubt about the guiding principles that provide the underlying foundation for the care administered behind these doors. Here the attention to residents is Gospel driven. Upon entering the front doors in a few steps on a table directly ahead, one will come face to face with the Word of God. On this day it was opened to John’s Gospel 10:25-11:30. The staff informed me it changes whenever one of the residents stops to turn the page.



As a sign of what is to come, I was walking down the hallway to Miss Pat’s room and inside a residence a few doors down I noticed a man solemnly gathering and packing belongings up. Then a bit later, I walked by and he was sitting holding a personal item in quiet reflection. Even later I met that man with a cart full of clothing. I held the front door for him and we had a revealing conversation filled with hope. His name is Doug. He was clearing out his sister’s room. Betty had passed the day before yesterday. Doug knew she was in a better place. Just a few hours later I was standing in front of Miss Pat’s bathroom mirror and noticed a picture fixed to the corner of the mirror. In that picture with Miss Pat was Miss Betty who had been a close friend. I no longer believe in coincidences.


Miss Betty, Wesley Meadows staff member, Miss Pat

A late afternoon moment of pure grace occurs when Elizabeth, Cindy’s daughter and Miss Pat’s only granddaughter arrives from her work. NOW there is multi-generational love flowing in this room. This agape is crystalline and many faceted, like a rare and precious gemstone. And “grandmommie” recognizes this outpouring as if yellow roses and angels for she almost sits up in bed, eyes wide and arms outstretched

There are many questions that arise and many decisions that need to be made, or not, during this world’s end of life process. Both of my parents died suddenly without warning, so at this place, I lack experience. I am unqualified to act. But by witnessing two daughters- who for their day jobs are nurses- at vigil with their beloved Mom, I realize that Love is the only qualification needed. It is the same redemptive love of Christ that can flow through us all.

“Everyone who lives and believes in me will never die -ever.” (John 11:26) HCSB

Amen Miss Pat


Bradford Bosworth
March 7, 2018

Writer's note: Miss Pat walked through the gates of Heaven approximately 10:40 est on March 7, 2018. Part two will tell that story.





No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed