Foxhole Prayer

Writer's note: The following post was written a couple months ago when familiarity with the entire "blogging" process was still very dim. So I thought I had posted it already and it turns out I had not. I also had referenced this text in a subsequent post ( "What goes around... on 2/17). Well here goes and the reader can be sure there will be more written about my experiences with Dale.

Foxhole Prayer

Back in the early eighties when I was involved in the sport of motor racing as a PR and Marketing consultant. I was working with a company  in Atlanta called the Championship Group. During this time a young motorcycle road racer from Dalton, Georgia contacted us to help find him a ride on four wheels instead of two.  He had much success in his two wheel career and in a three year stretch 1979-1981 won the prestigious Daytona 200 twice and finished second once as a privateer. Earlier in his career he had been nicknamed "Pig Farmer" by the California -surfer boy- contingent in the sport because of his southern twang accent.  One day we were traveling together and he told me the story about how the promoter of the infamous Isle of Man motorcycle race had called him after one of his Daytona victories to ask him to run his race.  The Isle of Man is considered in most circles as the most dangerous motorcycle race on planet earth. Dale said that he really did not want to race there so he gave the promoter an astronomical appearance fee figuring he would say no.  Well the promoter said yes and Dale, being a man of integrity, entered the race. Dale described a point in the competition where low light and misty fog prevented clear vision and he could tell when he would hit a puddle because the tachometer would spike with wheel spin engine rev. He said a foxhole prayer, "Lord if you get me out of here alive, I will never make a decision like this again."

Mark 11:24

No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed