Recently Published

"Disciplines"
A Book of Daily Devotions 2018

A little over three years ago I began submitting poem prayers to "Alive Now" magazine a periodical published by the Upper Room. Over a two year period they published my work in five different issues. During that same time I struck up a conversation with Rita the Editor of their "Disciplines" 365 daily devotional. I wrote some sample devotions for her and she consequently invited me to write for this 2018 issue.  Since they had already issued invitations for the 2017 edition and were in the middle of compilation and editing for same, I did not expect to hear from her again for almost a year. I guess God had other plans. One of Rita's 2017 writers had to drop and she was left with a week to fill. She contacted me with a very short notice deadline and not wanting to miss the wonderful opportunity, I agreed to submit.

"Disciplines" 2017

It was a very daunting task at first, as I considered the company of writers I was joining. This neighborhood was comprised mostly of Clergy, Doctors of Divinity, Professors of Theology and the like. When at first I began corresponding with Rita, I had very little knowledge and understanding of the Revised Common Lectionary. With support from my Smyrna First UMC Pastors Joey and Barbara and inspiration from the Holy Spirit, my "Who Are Those Guys" devotions filled the week of May 8-14 including Mothers Day, a great blessing and dedication for my mom Jeanne.

"Disciplines" 2018

Even though Rita had previously offered an invitation for 2018, when the official call came with scripture attached it was a giant validation for me as a writer. She had thought enough of my writing to include me a second time. For me that is no small achievement. God is Good! I will be forever grateful to our Smyrna First UMC Associate Pastor Whit, a young'un on fire with the Holy Spirit. He gave me immeasurable advice and encouragement for this effort.



My contribution to the 2018 edition of "Disciplines" scheduled for the week of June 18-24 is titled: "The Best and Worst in Us." I have been using this devotional for three year now. I have heard say that the three year cycle of scripture comprising the Revised Common Lectionary, if read, will- in many ways- take one through the entire Holy Bible. One thing I can attest to is that you will often hear from the pulpit Sunday, a message corresponding to the Lectionary scripture of same week.

If you would like to order the 2018 "Disciplines click here: Get your 2018 Devotional

Eternally grateful,

Bradford Bosworth
September 2017


No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed