Cherry Hill Tomato Run- Final



Confection Reflections
Hoboken Frank

I have been packing up lately. Getting my “stuff” ready for relocation as I will be moving my residence to a new locale. An old man will begin a new life in a few weeks. “Stuff” does not do justice to some of the sentimental family heirlooms. I have not been through this process in a while, but it always has the same effect. Filling boxes is an emotional exercise, sweet memories mixed with lamenting “if I’s” and “could I have’s.” One of the framed pieces coming off the dining room wall was an album soundtrack from the 1957 movie Pal Joey. There is a fading autograph for my long passed parents in the upper right corner that reads, “To Harold and Jean, Frank Sinatra.”

It is at this point lamentation comes into play. The ink inscription is fading little by little each day. I immediately reflect on my recent journey to New Jersey. I think of one 75-year-old man’s annual mission trip soon coming to its last stop. I think of one third generation family farm in an area where there once were eighty-two. I think of 77-year-old Tom Jarvis, patriarch of the lone Springdale Farm who still works the crops, recent hip replacement notwithstanding. All in this world is transition.

Randy & Tom

I think of the Ocean City landmark family business, also third generation, that traces it’s roots to 1892. Shriver’s is the oldest business on the OC Boardwalk. I chuckle that it never occurred to me where the name boardwalk originated from until I was looking down at the lumber under my feet as I walked on it. I learned that Salt Water Taffy- a New Jersey coast original- is the sweet seed of summer romance and I better take some back to my bride to be, Patti, in Marietta.

   SWTaffy Maker 
Wood Boards + walking = Boardwalk!

I learned most astonishingly that there exists a township that holds to the standard that the majesty of God’s great creation does not need beverage alcohol pouring or package carry permits for visitors and residents alike to joyfully experience the area’s local flavor. I learned that America’s heartland does not exist only in flyover country. Last but not least, we all need to cherish and hold tightly to the founding principles of our extraordinary America the beautiful, or we might watch it disappear as if carried away by an Atlantic Ocean rip tide.


“Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit."
 Matthew 12:33

Amen Brothers Randy and Tom

Afterthoughts:
Fruits of tree of Randy


Bradford Bosworth
August 2018


No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed