Five Finger Friends

Today was a glorious day. Cool, crisp, breezy and the cloudless blue sky made for sunbeams so sharp all shadows had distinctly defined edges. It was an edgy day. A great day for a Harley ride along the Chattahoochee. And even better I got to catch up with two of my Five Finger Friends. First stop in Alpharetta to visit with Michael and Joyce whose friendship goes back to my first job out of college at WESH-TV in Daytona Beach, Florida. Michael was a cameraman at the station and helped me get started in the business. I a fresh faced kid, and he a Vietnam Vet making his way in the business world.  It was fourty years ago we met.  Although it has been a few years since we have seen each other or even talked.  No matter, it seemed like yesterday. That is the way it is with Five Finger Friends. I love you Michael.


Then it was off to Buckhead to meet up with a group of folks gathering at the trendy Hal's On Old Ivey. This group was coming together to celebrate the retirement of my friend John, Faith partner and former boss who I worked for and with over 15 years. Our friendship goes back more than 25 years and has grown since I left the employ of the same company he is now retiring from.  It is a beverage alcohol distributing company with strong Atlanta roots.  I am most happy for John as I believe his life will now begin to open up in new and exciting ways! I love you John.


 
Five Finger Friends
 
Your call is never screened
No time of the day
Is unusual
Days, weeks, years
Does not matter how long,
The place in the heart is the same
 
In a lifetime this friendship
this closeness, the respect, the love
Comes from within
If by divine appointment
Your lives intersected at
The most propitious moment
Sometimes more than once
Because we  were not awake
Enough, enough
How many will we have?
The neon lights up:
TRUE FRIEND
How many in a lifetime?
We can count them on one hand!
 
Bradford Bosworth
April 2015
 


No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed