What goes around....



First


In March of 1980 while working at Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) in the PR department I was sent to Daytona for “Bike Week”. My objective was to gain some insight and establish contacts in and around the motorcycle racing community. Our CMS facility was to host a Motorcycle racing event in the coming months and I needed to learn about this two wheeled racing sport. Up until that time most of my background in racing involved NASCAR and IMSA sports car racing.

 
I cannot tell you who won the main event (Daytona 200) that year but I can tell you of a young man whose presence and persona was striking to me.  I really was not familiar and did not know of his name but the first time I encountered him his following impressed me.  He was remarkable in his fullness of spirit and exuberance.  There was a sparkle in his eye.  He was a diminutive figure short in stature, slight in build. He had the body of a jockey or gymnast and, I was to learn, ideal for motorcycle racing.

 
I was only to encounter Dale Singleton in close passing with no spoken words. I was an observer quietly noting an ascending star.  There was a greater story to unfold. It was a story of miracles and jubilation as well as tragedy and devastating heartbreak.  It was years later when his and my paths would cross again. To be continued…..

****


See my previous blog post “Foxhole Prayer” 2/1/15 for more on Dale and also click on this link:



 
BB
4/15
 


No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed