My Father's Keys


Somewhere around 2006 I became interested in antique keys. Skeleton keys first attracted me and I am not sure how I was drawn except that now I believe it was my divine nature’s calling. If you ever hold one of these keys in your hand, it has a mystic quality and raises questions. How old, how many hands touched, how far has it come? These are the questions that flow and each key stands alone unique in its own character.

 

One day I decided to google St. Peter’s Keys because I always had this concept of him standing by the Pearly Gates with keys. I was lead to some great insights and understandings about Rome (Italy) and the how the design of St. Peter’s Basilica came to be shaped like a key. But most of all I was captured by the scripture that is the root of all connection between the apostle Peter and keys. The words are spoken by Jesus to Peter as told in the Gospel of Mathew.

 

Mathew 16:19.

 

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven.”

 

It was not long until I was making ceiling & lamp fan pulls with keys I bought through auction on Ebay. I had them for sale in a local gift store in Smyrna, Ga. (The Nest), where I live and also in my Ebay store (The Jazzman’s Joint). But mostly I gave them as gifts. Each would come with a card that contained the Gospel scripture.

 

 

 

Now my youngest daughter Jeanne is about to travel to Rome in a study abroad program. She is taking eight of these Lamp/Fan pulls with her. Every two weeks while she is in Italy she will use a piece of scripture from the Holy Bible picked by her earthly father and ask for guidance from her Heavenly Father as how to and who to give it away.  Jeanne will then write a letter to “Dad” about her experiences giving the “Kingdom Key” away.

 

I will write about this experience as well as my challenge to quell fears about my daughter being so far away and out of my control and about how it is testing my faith.

No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed