Fried Chicken Agape

Agape, translated as "love: the highest form of love, especially brotherly love, charity; the love of God for man and of man for God." The noun form first occurs in the Septuagint, but the verb form goes as far back as Homer, translated literally as affection, as in "greet with affection" and "show affection for the dead."

There is a fellowship of which I belong. It is called The Walk to Emmaus. It like Church and AA is a big part of my Spiritual program. In the Walk to Emmaus movement Agape plays a big role.  It is through acts of agape that I have experienced the most recognizable manifestation of God's wondrous Grace.




I remember my late mother Jeanne trying to fry chicken for us one time. Being that she was from the north- Pittsburgh, Pa. to be exact- and of direct German decent, she did not have much of a foundation in chicken frying. I remember enjoying the chicken but not that my mother had burns from grease splatter.  I don't remember her cooking fried chicken again. She could however make a mean leg o lamb!


It was during my years in high school and college in the deep south that I learned what an art it was to be able to make good authentic southern fried chicken.  I've been at the table with families when the matriarch has fried chicken for dinner and it was a near religious experience for this younger man. It is through Walk to Emmaus that I learned these were experiences of God's "Prevenient" Grace.

There is this authentic "Southern" lady I know who, reputation has it, makes awesome fried chicken.  As her kids have grown and moved away from the stove, so to speak, she will make fried chicken on special occasions and that is when I know her Agape is flowing mightily!

Amen Sister

Bradford Bosworth
August 2015

No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed