Pitch Man


The Witness of Our Lives


A few months ago I was invited to participate in a leadership role on a Christian men's retreat. In my faith  journey I am part of numerous fellowships, some are coed but this particular one was men only.
As part of my service on this retreat I was asked to give a talk. The talk was titled "Christian Action".

I want to focus this post on a young man who I admire and respect immensely. His name is Tim Tebow.  Back in the fall of 2008 my life was adrift on a sea of despair and denial.  I had recently been through a drug treatment center and was about 30 days sober when I decided to turn on the SEC Football Championship.  Tebow is known for his strong Christian faith and had a practice of  writing bible verses on his eye black.  On this evening, I wanted to know what the scripture message was so I was one of the record number of people googling John 16:33 making it the number one google search term for that date.


My Christian Action message to the men on the retreat can be summed up with the statement. "It is the witness of our lives."  There are not many better examples of this idea that I can think of than Tim Tebow.  I'm sure it makes a difference that I am a big sports fan.  I was a fan of his at the time but after looking up that verse- which is a quote from Jesus -I had a bit of a different perspective. The man who chose this scripture had to be serious about his mission! The words are from the One Teacher and if we listen to these words and then search out "these things" that he told us. And if we try to live by them and assimilate them into our lives then we too have a chance to "overcome the world."

Pitch Man

Side Note: A little over a year later the NCAA banned "Eye Black Messages" in an edict that is now known as the "Tebow Rule". "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." John 1:5


Amen Brother Tim

Bradford Bosworth
July, 2016

No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed