Hold on to Our Country!

What does it mean to be an American?

We are in the midst of an American summer now and not an ordinary summer but a summer that sees a presidential election around the corner. In my lifetime, I do not believe we have been as divided a country as this day brings. I hope and pray we can make it through November without becoming completely unglued.  Please Lord guide us in your paths.

As we near the weekend where we celebrate the divinely inspired birth of our country, I will share something I wrote 36 years ago. As I read it I become more inspired to take my writing to a new level.  The  "runner up " designation for this newspaper contest was one of my first legitimate examples of being mainstream published.  It shows me also that the inspiration behind my creativity
is same as it ever was!



As printed in "The Charlotte News"  Friday, July 4, 1980

Being an American means having the ability to  take for granted an existence that a great number of the world population can only dream about.

It means being able to change horses in the middle of a stream, or deciding to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Being an American means being able to return a favor, repay a debt. It means being able to say , "No problem, it's been my pleasure, think nothing of it...what are friends for?"

Being an American means being able to write a letter to a local newspaper explaining what it is like being an American.


It also means being able to have and write for your own Internet blog where people from around the world can read "What does it mean to be an American."


Amen Brothers and Sisters from around the globe.

Bradford Bosworth
June 2016

No comments:

A Carnivore's Paradise

  (Writer’s Note: In my upcoming book “ Angel Food Cake” A Forty Day Devotional for an Upside/Down World, there are stories referencing ange...

Most Viewed